Being sustainable isn't just about recycling (although that's a part of it). It's about making sure that the products we use don't leave a negative impact on the planet. But let's face it, it can be daunting trying to figure out where to start. Here are 10 simple tips if you want to start living a more sustainable lifestyle:
1) The small stuff matters. Get rid of plastic straws (get some of the reusable bamboo or stainless steel straws) and replace your paper towels with sponges or washable cloths.
2) Look for products that have refillable bottles to eliminate some of the plastic packaging -- like MASAMI refillable pro-ocean shampoo & conditioner bottles.
3) If your grocery store is within walking (or cycling) distance, resist the urge to jump in your car. You can bring reusable tote bags to carry just what you need and avoid putting more carbon monoxide into the environment (and get some exercise as a bonus!)
4) Only buy recycled paper or better yet, start a bin of scrap paper that you can use for note taking.
5) Change out your lightbulbs to LED lights. It's estimated that LED bulbs use more than 75% less energy than incandescent lighting.
6) Get low flow faucets. You won't notice a change in pressure and you'll be saving water.
7) Switch to clean beauty products. The ingredients won't harm the environment and are less toxic for you.
8) Buy quality products that can be reused or upcycled (like Isle de Nature's handmade ceramic vessel).
9) Look for sustainable fashion. Adalinda Fashion is a great source of up and coming sustainable brands.
We hope this is helpful in taking steps to limit our consumption and help our planet. If you have any other ideas, pleas share!
Header pic by Nick Fewings, Unsplash